Wednesday, September 14, 2005

All about me

Tracy has an awesome challenge right now at RAKScraps for Self Awareness month. Every week she's going to post questions so we can all get to know ourselves and each other better. Here are my answers for the first 2 rounds. Let me tell you, it was tough!

What skills have I acquired that I'm proud of?
I'm proud of my people skills, my computer skills, my design skills (at work and scrapping) and being able to hold my breath underwater a long time.

What accomplishments am I proud of?

Graduating college. Learning to like dogs. Being named the top high school journalist in NJ back when I was a lot younger. Giving up some bad habits and ex-boyfriends.

Beginning when I was a child, what are the 10 most significant events in my life? Why did I make them significant?

In no particular order....
1. Becoming an aunt. I never thought my brother needed me until I showed up at the hospital with my sister the day my SIL gave birth to Taylor. Meeting and holding her for the first time was such an amazing experience. Then meeting Rocky too!

2. Going to Miami on vacation with my sister in 1996. We were such enemies as little girls - I think it was that summer that we really became best friends.

3. Getting my first job at a newspaper. I was 16 and got a really great gig writing feature stories for the local newspaper.

4. Visiting Italy. It's just amazing! The food, the shopping, the history. Everyone should go there!

5. Sept. 11. It changed my life, and not necessarily in a good way. I saw it with my own eyes, and it's only within the last year that I've started turning things around after really losing it for awhile.

6. Seeing U2 and Paul McCartney in concert. (Not together of course!) I love their music and it means so much to me! I just couldn't believe I was there.

7. Starting a new school in 7th grade. My parents took us out of Catholic school, where we were having so many problems. The teachers were horrible - I went through about 6 in one year and hardly learned a thing- and all the girls were so cruel to me because I developed early. I begged my parents not to make me go there. So in 7th grade, I started at the public school down the street. The nuns had always threatened us with public school - but it was better! The kids were so much nicer and well behaved. I made lots of friends and actually felt like I fit in for the first time. I'm still know many of them and we always talk about how much fun we had then!

8. My parents' separation. I was one of those kids who prayed her parents would get divorced. It was horrible growing up with parents who always fought - and I mean nonstop. I have no memories of them getting along and I have a very good memory. It finally happened after my father's business failed and he lost all of our money. He left, and I think we were happier at home than we had ever been, even though we were then poor and I had to pay for college myself. But then he came back for awhile and it was so awkard. When my father called me a few years later to tell me they were getting divorced, he said he didn't want to tell me sooner because it would have ruined my birthday (I was over 21 at the time) - but it was the best news I had in a long time.

9. Learning to read. I'm not sure when it happened (kindergarden?) - but it was probably one of the best things that every happened to me. I love my books. I love being able to escape in them, meeting new characters and learning new things.

10. Knowing Ashley. She was my cousin and the most amazing girl I've ever known. She died when I was in college. The doctors never thought she's make it a few months - but she surpassed their expectations by several years. She was born with a rare genetic disorder called 4p monosomy. She had so many physical and mental disabilities, but she had a smile and a laugh that would just melt your heart. One day, I'll build up the nerve to start a scrapbook about her because I'd like more people to know about her.

What period of my life do I like most? Why?
When I was about 25, I finally learned how to have fun. I had spent so much of my life being a nerd - trying to be good at school, working hard to get a job, that I missed out on so much. That was the year I went to Italy, too.

What period of my life do I like least? Why?
That would be the period right after the one I just mentioned. I was just out of control.

What are five of my greatest strengths?

I'm smart, hard working, creative, have a sense of humor and I have a great family.

What do I desire most right now? Why do I desire that?

I want a new career - I've had it with journalism. Even though I've worked so hard to get here, I've been doing this seriously since I was 15 - almost half my life - and I'm burned out! So now I'm trying to figure out how to do this and what else I'd be good at.

If I was to receive an award, what would I want that award to be for? Why that?
Does the lottery count?

What type of people do I enjoy spending time with?
(intelligent, open-minded, out-going, self-righteous, reflective, quiet, funny, a bit sad, optimists, readers, pessimists, thinkers, sports-minded, active, perceptive, debaters, joke-tellers, etc.)

I like people who are are smart, funny and fun and who like to talk as much as I do! I don't like being around people who are too quiet!

Why do I enjoy those specific qualities in people?

Because I like to talk! I like people who have interesting things to say and make me laugh.

Do I seek out people similar as I, or different from me? Why is that?

Most people are sort of like me - loud, a little crazy. We share common experiences, beliefs, politics and values. Mostly we laugh a lot.

Do I have many friends as I just described? Why or why not?

I'd say I know a lot of people like that. I'm surrounded! Some of them are people I know, some are good friends.

What would those close relationships look like? What would be the biggest aspects? (talking, shared activities, working on projects together, laughter, storytelling, playing games, etc.)

We're definitely talkers. We'll sit around for hours debating, telling funny stories, playing board (or drinking) games.


What are two of the most favorite things I enjoy doing with others?

Having dinner or a drink (out or at home) and parties. Doing things where we can have conversations.

Where have I met most of the friends I currently have?
(family, work, community, childhood, online, etc.)

Some I've known since grade school, high school. Some are from college and work. And some of them are my family - my sister and aunt are among my best friends. I've met some people online through scrapbooking who I'd put on that list too!

What does where I met these friends tell me about myself?

That I'm a good friend! I think I am. I feel like I've known the same people forever and they haven't gotten rid of me yet! (Kind of what happens too when you live in the town where you grew up!)

Why am I still friends with those people?

I'm still friends with the people who are most important to me. I had a lot of people who I've been close to come and go - but the core group are still there. We've been through so much together

What is the single biggest attitudinal change I’d like to make when with people? (be more myself, be more out-going, be more honest, initiate more conversations, be more comfortable, be more open, be funnier, interrupt less, initiate more activities, etc.)

When with people I think I'm ok - it's the getting together with them that's my problem. With the weird hours I work, my dedication to scrapbooking, and just being tired - I find it hard to get together with the people I love. Everyone is always complaining they never see me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Am I going to have to do this now too, Robin? It's great getting to know more about you - I feel like we have so much in common. Except you've been to Italy, and I haven't. ;)

September 14, 2005  
Blogger Tania said...

What a great excerice! I need to get into the forums and participate in the AAM stuff Tracy is doing. It was wonderful getting to know you better Robin, thanks for sharing.

September 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home