Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Our tree


As mom and I were putting up the tree on Sunday, I asked her which was her favorite ornament. And she said it was her partridge in a pear tree - a blown glass ornament that was the first special ornament she ever bought. It was always one that had a special place in the middle of the tree, toward the top. And it was one of my favorites too.

Sometime last night, our tree fell over. My sister found the mess that was all of our Christmas memories when she stopped by this morning on her way to work. All most all the glass balls and stars were smashed. Ornaments were missing heads, arms, legs. It was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen. I asked about a few of my favorites, and they were ok, but the partiridge in a pear tree was broken. All that was left was the inner piece. We were picking up pieces, sweeping up the mess, trying not to cry.

So it looks like we won't have a tree now. Mom will probably be up all night with her glue gun, trying to salvage what she can. I joked with her that she had been saying she wanted to condense some of her Christmas stuff anyway. I mean, we have other things to be happy about this year. There's Kylie - and I don't have to work on Christmas. But it still won't be the same.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tania said...

Oh Robin! That's so sad, I think my mom would cry for days if anything like this happened to her tree (I don't have any special ornaments yet). I'm so sad for you and your mom and sister. I hope some things can be salvaged. And you can always start a new collection :)

December 21, 2005  
Blogger Peta said...

Owww Robin that's so sad - most of our family tree stuff has been hand made over the years by my nana I know I would be deverstated if anything happened to any of them {{{{HUG}}}} I hope one day you come across another partridge in a pear tree just like the one that broke for your mum!!

December 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home