Thursday, March 02, 2006

Simpsons vs. the First Amendment

So more Americans know more about The Simpsons than the Bill of Rights.

A news story this week said: Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey.

Before reading this, I could name 4 out of five freedoms (I always forget that petition one), more than 5 Simpsons, and the episode Homer vs The 18th Amendment. But I work in the media, and one of those is all about my job. What they don't tell you is that most people in the media don't even know this! When I went to an API workshop a few years ago, we went to the Newseum and took a quiz from First Amendment Center . It was pretty sad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home