Thursday, April 27, 2006

Finished


I just finished two books this week that had been on the nightstand (to read at night) and in the car (for doctors appts., oil changes, etc.) forever.

The first one was Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire, which is the sequel to Wicked, which is a retelling of the Wizard of Oz. I loved Wicked and the Broadway version too. I get into moods where I listen to the soundtrack for days. It's pretty annoying, well to everyone else but me. I got to see the original cast on B'way and it was just too awesome. I would have cried if there were stand ins - which there often are when you see Sunday matinees. I finished reading the book the night (or should I say wee hours of morning) before seeing the show. They are both so different, but I still love 'em both.

I think it's really hard to get into a Gregory Maguire book. I've also read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. But I really like the stories and the twists on the originals. I think Mirror, Mirror is on my shelf too. But back to Son of a Witch, it's the story of Elphaba's son, who's not even sure if he is or not, and his journey after Dorothy kills the witch. One of my favorite things is how he makes the orignial Oz characters so annoying. :) I thought there were a few holes though, things he didn't wrap up at all.

The other book I finally finished was Bergdorff Blondes by Plum Sykes. It was a fun read if you like chic lit. A little annoying in her characterization of "Manhattan girls." But I guess girls like these rich, Park Ave. type character think they are the only ones anyway. A little predictable too, but a nice light read. But not as good as the Devil Wears Prada.

5 Comments:

Blogger mrs.S said...

Lately, I've been enjoying light reading. My brain can't handle the stress at work and having to do heavy reading. LOL! I'm gonna have to check out those chic lits you mentioned. I really enjoyed the devil wears prada, so i think i'll head on to the bookstore tomorrow.

April 27, 2006  
Blogger Tracy Blankenship said...

ooohhhhh. Cool. I am wanting to do some reading again. I so miss it! I am writing these down to check out. Thanks!

April 27, 2006  
Blogger skyescrapz said...

I enjoyed reading Wicked a lot, but haven't picked up any of his other stuff yet. I found Wicked actually to be quite a political, comment-on-society sort of book. But entertaining definitely.

I used to be like that with the Into The Woods soundtrack. I could listen to it for days on end.

April 27, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Wicked is on my nightstand as we speak (or should that be "as I type") I bought it before Annie was born and I still haven't read it. Soon. After I get through the huge stack o'magazines sitting on top of it. I want to see the play - I've heard it is incredible!

April 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to read Wicked and having a hard time starting it, I know I'll love it if I can just get a few pages into it.

April 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home