Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Days 2 and 3

Well I felt even worse on Sunday. I think I slept most of the day, and then watched old World War II movies the rest! Didn't get anything done at all. I had made a whole list of things to do this week and I left it at work!!!!

Monday I was feeling a little better. Grandma came over, and so did Mike, Vesna and the nieces. So we all went to watch the little Memorial Day Parade on Bergenline, which is so sad. Hardly anyone comes out for these things and there's pretty much just the school bands, cheerleaders, some politicians and the recreation department in them. They were much bigger when I was in girl scouts and we used to march.

We went to see Da Vinci Code last night, which I thought was OK. Pretty much right out of the book, but condensed. One thing I didn't like about the book was that it refers to so much visual stuff - like paintings and symbols, and unless you look them up, you have no idea what he was talking about. So the movie made sense of some things for me. I have to completely agree with this review from the New York Times...

To their credit the director and his screenwriter, Akiva Goldsman (who collaborated with Mr. Howard on "Cinderella Man" and "A Beautiful Mind"), have streamlined Mr. Brown's story and refrained from trying to capture his, um, prose style. "Almost inconceivably, the gun into which she was now staring was clutched in the pale hand of an enormous albino with long white hair." Such language — note the exquisite "almost" and the fastidious tucking of the "which" after the preposition — can live only on the page.

That kind of writing made me crazy as I read the book. I just wanted to get out my red pen when I was reading it. So in that sense, I prefer the movie!

Mike put in my air conditioner for me last night - so that meant I didn't want to get out of bed today. I'm so behind on my plans for getting things done. I really want to get this mess sorted out, but it's going nowhere! And I want to get out of the house. Should have a review of X-Men for ya later!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww.... :( so sorry you felt even worse Sunday. Don't worry...you'll be feeling better by the beginning of next week lol - figures! lol about leaving your list of things to do at work lol

karen (Hom74)

May 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better today! Sucks about leaving the list at work.. that is so something I'd do! lol! Either that or lay it down somewhere ever to be lost in my endless pile of stuff. I hate when I do that!

May 30, 2006  
Blogger skyescrapz said...

Hope you feel better today! I saw DaVinci Code yesterday and I have to agree about the book -- I found I enjoyed it even more when I read the illustrated version that came out last year. Made it so much easier to follow everything. I liked the movie pretty well, considering what it could have been. I thought they condensed the book fairly well, and even though some things were changed a wee bit, nothing changed so much that it bugged me. I was not expecting to like Tom Hanks in that role, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I actually give it a thumbs up.

May 30, 2006  
Blogger mrs.S said...

I hope you're much much better now, Robin! It can really suck to be sick when you're on vacation. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did love the book. I should really drag Mr. S away from his puter again to watch a movie...

May 31, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you start feeling better soon, Robin! It's a bummer to feel bad on your days off. :( I'm probably not as much of an editor as you, but I get pretty nuts about editing when I read too! One little typo glares out at me from pages, so whole sentences just drive me batty. I may not ever be able to read Da Vince Code! LOL! Hugs!

May 31, 2006  
Blogger jessica said...

Hi Robin! Happy Birthday, lady!

(((hugs))) Hope you are feeling great today!

June 01, 2006  
Blogger shelly c said...

Happy Birthday, Robin!
Hop you're feeling much better today and will have a good day! Sending all my healthy good vibes all the way over to you! ;)

June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home