Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Letters

I've been putting off writing a letter for a really long time. Part of it is just that I forget, and the other reason is that I never think of writing real letters anymore. When we moved to our house more than 20 years ago, we met Jean, who lived across the street and who was recently widowed. She became a babysitter and part of our family. She'd got to dinner or the movies with us, have supper cooking some night when we got home, and spent holidays with us too. But in recent years, her health was getting worse, and she couldn't get around too much. She lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. So she moved to Florida to go live with her son. And it couldn't happen at a worse time for us - the day we said goodbye to her was also the day my grandmother - my father's mother - died. So it was like losing two of the people who raised me in one day. Of course she calls on holidays and writes us letters, but it's so easy to forget to resond. And she's always nagging me about when I'm going to find a nice fella or my sister about when she's going to get married. She had sent me a set of embroidered pillow cases a few months ago, and I just kept forgetting to write a thank you. And the longer I put if off the worse I felt.
So last night I finally made myself write something - of course I had to do it on the computer. I mostly wrote about how everyone else in the family is, because I couldn't think of anything interesting to tell her about myself. I don't think she'd get digital scrapbooking. And I didn't feel like writing that I don't have a fella because I don't want one. But I got it done and sent out today and I feel a little better. I really hope it makes her happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peta said...

awww I'm sure she'll be so pleased to get something from you Robin that's a great idea - hey maybe you could send her a digi page along with the letter i'm sure if you put in something like that and mention it she'll then *get* it!! - if you had a photo of Jean maybe you could do a page of her as a thank you in return! :)

May 03, 2006  
Blogger Tracy Blankenship said...

awwww..she will love it! I cracked up when I read that it was on the computer...that is so me! Bet you feel better now that it is done...hate that feeling of knowing you should do something and you haven't.

May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home