Thursday, January 03, 2008

My word


I've been thinking a lot this week about resolutions, all the things I want to do this year, and how I am ever going to get it all done. And that's when I came up with my word. You may have heard about Ali Edward's word. I had one for 2006. I never came up with one for 2007. Even as I'm writing this, I'm thinking about all the hundreds of things I need to work on and getting distracted.

So my word for 2008 is focus. One of my biggest problems is I get so overwhelmed by my to-do list that I end up ignoring it and nothing gets done. Then what happens is I forget to pay a bill, my room goes uncleaned, I work on things last minute.

I don't want to list all of the things I want to focus on. But I'm starting out by setting small goals for myself each day. Instead of looking at the whole list, I think of two or three things to work on, and I'm trying to make sure some of those things are things for me!

And it seems to work! Yesterday, I made a short list and got more than everything done. I printed out photos for all the frames I've had piling up. Now I have new photos of Taylor, Kylie, Rocky and Lucia on my desk at work. And I also did two layouts and some templates for RAKScraps. I also cooked myself some lunch - not just something in the microwave! Today's been more laid back. The only think I put on my list was "scrap a layout." I scrapped a little, had lunch, caught up on some Entertainment Weekly and still did some admin stuff. It feels really great to do things for myself first.

(LO Credits: Everything by Jessica Bolton at Scrapbook Graphics - word strip from Delight in Photographs; frame, paper from Homegirl Frill, Teen Tiny Alphas)

3 Comments:

Blogger MelissaThinks said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have the same word!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually have three, kind of a mantra. It's focused, productive & accountable. Last year was such a blur for me. I got everything done but in a totally scattered hectic way.

So I hope you have a very focused year ;-)

January 03, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

WTG Robin! I'm proud of you for picking a word, and that is a really good one. I find the same thing you do...make a shorter list and you get more done! My word is resilience...if I have a bad day, tomorrow is a new day and I get to start all over again.

Here's to your continued success with focusing!

January 04, 2008  
Blogger Melinda said...

great word, Robin! and your plan to focus a little each day sounds like it is off to a good start!

January 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home