Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Firetrucks

I have some time to kill before work and I was trying to figure out what I should do. Then I remembered I haven't shared the story of my crazy weekend!

Friday and Saturday started out great. I hung out with my friends Friday night and then we had the family over Saturday for Randi's birthay.

Well, then Sunday I was hanging out with the dogs and catching up on Netflix (Lives of Others - good movie!) when I got a call from Geek Squad saying my laptop was ready!!! I was so happy I got in the car and drove down there. The cost a bit less than the estimate, so I was happy about that too!

When I got home, I noticed a weird smell in the house. Sort of like fumes. We put the heat on for the first time that day, and I thought there was a funny scent from the dust on the radiators. But when I went down to the basement to check, it looked a little hazy down there and the smell was much worse.

I am a panicker so I called Mom, who was on her way home. She suggested calling the oil company for service. I turned the heater off and I took the dogs and the laptop into the yard to get some fresh air. While I was waiting for the oil company to call back I hear firetrucks. So I think maybe I should call them. Then I realized that the trucks were stopping in front of my house. Turns out the old lady next door could smell the smell in her house too.

Well, they checked out our basement. There was something wrong with the heater. The smell was from oil backing up. And they took readings to find we had high levels of CO down there. We had all the windows and doors open to get the fumes out and the CO levels dropped to nothing after awhile. But it still stinks in here, three days later.

I've spent the last two days waiting for service guys to show up. They found one of our oil tanks needed some new part and the other one was leaking. So we had to have another company come and pump out 250 or so gallons of oil. They said we were lucky we didn't have a fire. I also think it's a good think Geek Squad called. I might not have noticed how bad the smell was if I hadn't left the house.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen Bowers said...

ROBIN! oh my gosh, how scary. i'm glad you and your household and pup are all fine. oh my gosh.

October 22, 2008  
Blogger Melinda said...

So glad you are all OK and nothing bad happened!

October 22, 2008  
Blogger Sarah96 said...

OH my goooooodness! How scary! I'm so glad you are OK and thank Heaven for the little things that got you out of harms way and kept things from being worse.

October 22, 2008  
Blogger clc said...

I'm glad Geek Squad called and you got out of the house. High CO2 levels aren't good for you or Penny. Glad you've got your laptop back and that everyone is ok!

October 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home