Saturday, August 07, 2010

Goodbye tree

When my family moved into our house in 1983, the Christmas tree outside barely reached the top of the windows. It was one of the few trees on our city block and would soon become the only tree. The family that lived here before us had planted it. It was a neighborhood landmark. I'd tell people "It's the house with the giant tree" when they were coming to visit or dropping me off. Over the years, it grew almost into the house, crossing closely into the telephone and cable wires.


And that's why my mother decided to have it cut down after all these years. I knew it was going to happen, but not when. So I was kind of shocked a week ago to be awoken by the sound of chainsaws and my dog whining. A tree service crew was outside cutting down our tree.

And here's what's left. I'm saddened when I arrive home now. Those big green branches are there to welcome me anymore. Our block looks so empty without it. Our neighbors are all shocked to see it gone, except for the mean old lady who lives to our left. She complains about all the pine needles outside her house. (Don't get me started about the tree in her back yard that drops tons of berries in our yard that also make Penny sick!) Our neighbors to the right joke about how without the tree you can't hide from our unpleasant neighbor.

I have to find some of the old photos of us in front of our tree. Pictures from the first days of school, communions, graduations. I wish we could have taken one last family photo out there.

Mom plans to get a new tree to shade our house. For now, Penny is happy that her view to the street is unobstructed and she can look at the window and bark at anyone as she pleases.


Speaking of Penny, here's a photo I took of her in the yard today. I think it's my new favorite! :) At least we'll have some new pretty daisies - and daisies always cheer me up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, sorry you miss your tree! LOL at hiding from your neighbor. Love the shot of Penny!!

August 07, 2010  
Anonymous melissa said...

aww...you need to do a tree album. I have a chipboard Christmas tree shape you could use ;-) love the picture of penny!

August 09, 2010  
Blogger Melinda said...

We had 2 big pine trees in front of the house I grew up in too, and then they was cut down. Like yours, they had been small when we moved in. It definitely takes some getting used to after they are gone. Our neighbor across the street cut a huge tree down in the front yard in the spring. We were sad to see it go since there are so few trees on our street. They planed a new one, but it just isn't the same. I hope you find lots of photos with the tree over the years to scrap.
Great pic of Penny and the daisies!

August 12, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home