Monday, July 04, 2011

Geek TV

Ok, so recently my sister called and asked what I was up to and I lied and said I was reading or cleaning or something because I was really catching up on some of my nerd shows and didn't want her to know. Here's what I've been watching.

Firefly

Firefly didn’t run very long, but now it’s on Science channel. The residents of Earth have packed up and pioneered their way into the universe. And it’s pretty much like the Wild West out there. I’m such a big fan of Nathan Fillion. I love him in Doctor Horrible and Castle, so it’s fun to watch him on Firefly. Love the quippy, old-timey dialogue. And Adam Baldwin, who I love on Chuck, is awesome as another tough guy, Jane.

Battlestar Galactica

BBC America started showing BSG, but I just couldn’t wait for more episodes. All of them are available for streaming on Netflix. My mom’s away for the week so I have watched nothing but BSG for days. I’ll probably have the whole thing done by the end of the week. Like Doctor Who, I just can’t believe I didn’t watch this show sooner. (I think it might have started when I didn’t have cable) I am so obsessed with this show that I started googling all kinds of things about it and spoiled a lot of the surprises, but I don't care. I think my favorite characters are Starbuck, because she kicks ass, and Gaius Baltar, because he's insane. Also, I am scared of cylons.

Jem

Ok, maybe this isn’t so geeky, but it’s my little guilty pleasure. Jem has been showing on Hub and I love watching because it’s so awful. I love the crazy 80s fashion and the horrible songs. I remember listening to a tape of them as a kid. I could write those songs. Here’s the formula: Title of song. Add some clichés about that title. Repeat title of song, ending on a high note. Outrageous!!! For example, here is a song I will now sing to my pug: Penny is my dog… They say dogs are man’s best friends… But girls can love them too... And we’ll always be together forever…. Penny is my doooooog! Yeah!

Seriously, those Misfits and their cohorts would be considered terrorists nowadays! My favorite character was always Stormer, the nice Misfit. Also, did you know that you dress Ken dolls up in Jem’s clothes since she was a bigger doll.

The only bad part it having this stuck in my head all day: “Jem is truly outrageous, truly, truly, truly outrageous. Oooooooooooh, Jeeeeeem the music’s contagious, outrageous...” I will have to go watch some more BSG to make me think of something else!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen Caputo said...

Ha! I'm a longtime firefly fan but have kinda been parked in front of the tv all day watching the marathon on Science channel. I started BSG a few months after it ended and plowed through it,also can't believe i didn't watch it when it was on the air. I haven't watched Jem since I was a kid but it was my all time fave cartoon. I think I'll have to set my tivo :)

July 04, 2011  
Blogger Melinda said...

yay for geek TV! loved Firefly- I watched it with a friend on DVD when it came out since I had missed it when it was actually on TV. If you like BSG, then you really need to watch Babylon 5- that is one masterful series you would appreciate ;) Another campy scifi series I really liked that ended too soon (with Ben Browder) is Farscape. I still watch the reruns of Stargate SG-1 late on Friday nights, and other nights of the week too. I don't think I will ever get tired of watching those. I think it is hilarious to watch the old cartoons we grew up with. It's amazing how bad they were, but ahhhh the memories! LOL Love your Penny song, ala Jem style :D

July 05, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Haven't seen any of these, but I'm sure if I could actually get more than a smidge of time on the TV around here, I could easily generate my own list of embarrassing geek TV. Fun! :D

July 09, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home