Friday, August 05, 2011

Look what happens when I don't try!

So I've been struggling with my scrapbooking and creativity for a few months now. I never finished enough pages for the book I give my family every year for Christmas. I'd get a few pages done when Kim Jensen or Amy Wolff came out with new stuff since I'm still on their CTs.

To make things worse, my computer is slow. The program I use to organize my kits keeps crashing. My external hard drive keeps shutting off. All that makes digi scrapping nearly impossible. I was thinking about giving it all up!

While I was suffering from scrapper's block, I decided to scale back on things. I've been unsubscribing from newsletters and unliking designers pages. Don't need the temptation. The amount of money I've spent on scrapping stuff - digi and paper - has to be insane.

And while I was at the last crop, I got things going by scrapping for myself. I didn't worry about making a book for anyone else. I decided to scrap some of my own adventures. That's when the mojo started coming back. I stayed a lot longer than I expected and then finished a few more pages during the week.

I keep a long list on an Excel spread sheet with ideas for pages. Instead of feeling overwhelmed by the list, which has more than 100 ideas, I called up a random number picker and made a game of it. It's been pretty fun to revisit some of the older photos that I haven't gotten around to yet. I made a nice little dent in it!

So here are the pages I've gotten done since the crop. I'm not going for trendy or the latest kits anymore. I don't even think I'm going to post to galleries anymore. I just want to tell my stories.


T's dance recital theme this year was "Lights, Camera, Dance." All the songs were from movies and she was surprised when I told her that her ballet dance was set to one of my favorite songs from when I was young, "Somewhere Out There." Credits: Holly Designs and Kate Hadfield's Movie Night.


This is my adorable friend Laila. She is one of the newer members of our karaoke crew. We threw her a little karaoke bachelorette party the night before her wedding. Credits: Laura Banasiak's Gurrrls Night and Water Color alphas.


Here's the Hans Christian Anderson statue from Central Park. I lost the credits on this one, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly stuff by Shawna Clingerman.

And here's the Alice statue. I have been collecting Alice kits for ages and finally put them to good use! Credits: Valorie Wibbens and Jacque Larsen's Unbirthday, Karah Fredrick's Open Book word strips, Cafe J Free 2B word strips, MandaBean and Dani Mogstad's Unbirthday, Tangie Baxter's Wonderland

Kim Jensen has some new school things out and I scrapped this page from my 8th grade yearbook. The yearbook was my first editing gig. It was so lame - dot matrix printed pages and pencil drawn doodles - but I still like looking at the pages. Credits: Kim Jensen's Three R's Alphas, School Zone papers and Elements and Date It Beads from Scrapdish.

I took these pictures of Randi and Rocky in their "matching" jackets back when she still had long hair and have had them on my list for ages. Credits: Gina Miller's Frosted Flakes

My puppy gets into the weirdest spots to hide or just get comfy. Credits: Kaye Winieki's Come Find Me and Green Jelly alphas.

This page is based on my Christmas card, which I didn't send to anyone! Credits: Lauren Grier and Shawna Clingerman's I Believe, Gina Cabrera's Idea Notebook Dec. 2010, Gina Miller's Merry Jingle

This is my friend's very mean dog! She was actually calm this day and let me take photos. She's usually barking and trying to bite me. Credits: A hodge podge of stuffs by Lauren Grier, Dani Mogstad and Krystal Hartley.

One of my friend's birthday parties. These have been sitting on the list for awhile, too. Credits: Cocktail Hour by Christina Renee and Amy Hutchinson.

Penny really loves people and she was so cure with my friends Jaime and Heather. Credits: Krystal Hartley's Puppy Love, Janet Phillips template, Christina Renee alphas

I also made this page for Heather for her birthday. Credits: Valorie Wibbens stuffs and some Tracey Monette stitching.

And here's one I scrapped using Amy Wolff's Krafty Prints from the Aug. BOYC at Lily Pad and papers from her assorted other kits. Word label by Penny Springman.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Melissa Goerke said...

wow...you are on a roll. I learned a while back that scrapbooking was supposed to be fun. somehow we over-complicate things and it turns into a chore. Who needs another chore? So glad you are rekindling your love.

I still think you need to ditch that external and split stuff into smaller drives :-)

August 06, 2011  
Blogger Melinda said...

look at Robin go!! LOL I sometimes wonder if quitting major CTs would inspire me or make me lose interest completely. still not sure, so I keep on keeping on. I too finally make a yearly letter to send out and then never actually sent it to anyone. Granted it was February 2011 before the 2010 letter was done, so that probably had something to do with it :P I've got a list of pages to do as well- I like the 'random' choice way of picking which to work on :D

August 06, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... so many super-cute pages! So glad you're enjoying scrapping! Love the random selection method. :)

August 10, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home