Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chose to be kind



I've had RJ Palacio's Wonder on my to-read list for awhile. A few friends recently posted about it making me think I should finally pick it up. And I am so happy I did.

Wonder might be a book for young adults or maybe older children, but it is really is just one of those books everyone should read. It is sweet, touching, heart-breaking and funny. It's a story about a 10-year-old boy with a very unique genetic disorder and an unusual face. And in spite of all that he's a pretty normal kid - funny, smart and really into Star Wars. (You know I loved all the Star Wars references!) I think he was surprisingly strong when he's facing stares from strangers or bullies at school. It's pretty amazing. He's a kid I would like to know. 

The story is told from multiple points-of-view - August tells most of the story, but we also hear from some of his friends and his sister, and it's interesting to see how other people react to and really care about him. 

Would you stare or smile if you met August? Would you stand up for a friend? Do you chose to be right or to be kind? This book has me asking these questions about myself. 

I listened to the audiobook version - which was performed wonderfully by Kate Rudd, Nick Podehl
(who I've enjoyed from John Green books) and Diana Steel. I especially liked how Jack sounded like a character out of Newsies and August's raspy voice was just super sweet. Listen with caution if you plan to drive - because you will cry!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home